Thursday 11 December 2014

Festive outfit planning: Christmas Jumpers

A special post for the Queen of Christmas Jumpers, Liz

So, we've done LBDs, sparkles, work wear and even sofa surfing. But the most important item of festive clothing? The CHRISTMAS JUMPER! 

I had three novelty jumpers that I wore on a rotating basis last year, interspersed with my ever expanding collection of glittery,sequinned and fluffy jumpers. I added a couple more this year and so now I'm actually running out of occasions to wear them. Mr G and I even had a conversation that went like this:

"Are reindeer only for Christmas?"

"We're not getting one"

"Obviously! Duh! I'm just wondering, do I buy this jumper with snowflakes on, or the one with reindeer. It snows in January so I could still wear snowflakes in January, but will people think I'm crazy if I'm still wearing reindeer jumpers in January"

"I think you're crazy now. Shhhh"

JOLLY



This was from New Look last year, I wore this over a slinky dress forour cheesy Christmas party, with red sequin skirt on Christmas day and withblack skinny jeans for city drinks. It's silly, but cute.

REINDEER



Also from New Look last year. I've worn this with jeans,boots, denim shorts and (life changing!) thermal fleece-lined tights. It's perfectfor snuggly, festive weekend wear without being over the top.

SNOWMAN



Primark special. I wore this last Christmas Evewith sequinned skinny jeans, fluffy slipper boots and a huge "IT'S FINALLY CHRIIIIISTMAAAAAAAS" grin!
2014

This year I purchased some new jumpers from H&M (no no, I'm not on an H&M commission package, it's just my fave place to shop!).

I decided to go less novelty and more traditional this time around, well for one at least. I'm a sucker for those wholesome "just hanging here in a log cabin in the woods by the roaring fire, with all my rosy-cheeked friends after we just spent an hour having a snowball fight and riding our ponies and bikes home from the pub where we had a hearty lunch while our skin glows with health and our hair shines with vitality and our perfect teeth glisten in the fairy lights" Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren style adverts. 

You remember, a bit like that Spice Girls and/or Take That Marks and Spencer advert from a while back? Yeah... that look. It's one that I love, and covet, and wish I could carry off, but I can't. I'm just not fresh-faced, wholesome or outdoorsy. As we all know.

So at Christmas, when I can do it in a jokey way, I'm embracing it! Let's do this, wholesome and fairisle and plaid:


At the other end of the spectrum, and more true to character, this one is grey, fluffy, cynical and sarcastic. It say it all and has to be my favourite so far:


Sadly some of the balls fell off, so I had to return it, but I'm going in search of a new one asap!

Don't forget it's Christmas Jumper Day in aid of Save the Children tomorrow.

Are you planning to wear yours?

2 comments: